Most of my hobbies are doing fun things outside. My husband got me into a lot of the fun stuff but it seems it all has some element of risk involved. In the winter my husband and I do a lot of back country skiing, normal resort skiing, snowboarding, and ice climbing. In the summer we rock climb, road bike, mountain bike, and when it is too hot to do anything else we kayak. For my undergraduate, I was stuck in North Dakota because that is where one of the best aviation schools is, unfortunately you either become an alcoholic or you do really well in school because it is too cold to do anything.
Besides outside stuff I also like to scrapbook, play board games, and grill with friends.
As far as work goes, I work to live not live to work as the saying goes. I am the Chief Flight Instructor at Westminster College. I really enjoy teaching and with the aviation industry's high turn over, I feel as though I can help keep continuity in the program and mentor the new instructors. When I am not flying at Westminster I fly small Corporate jets as a first officer. For those that know airplanes Citation I, II and SII. Overall, it is a pretty cool job and you get to be outside a lot.
Sunday, May 18, 2008
Hobbies and Work
Posted by Julie's Blog at 6:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
I think Westminster is lucky to have you!
I think it is awesome that you are Westminster's Chief Flight Instructor. One of these days I want to have a job where chief is in the title...
Hey Julie,
You know what I like most about your job? It's the fact that it's your hobby, too. Everyone says find something you love to do and you'll be happy. The nice thing about your love is you're getting paid for it and I don't mean that in any sick sense. I like my job, but I wouldn't call it a hobby. You on the other hand have turned a dream into a reality. Nice job.
Julie,
Looks as if we have much in common. I actually got my start in teaching while a Flight Engineer in the Air Force. I was a "line instructor," on C-141B cargo planes, where I taught new engineers during flights (local training as well as trips). I followed that with Systems Refresher school, where I taught 2 weeks and flew six. I then moved to be a sim instructor.
I went on to fly with Japan Air for ten years and then with ATA for a year or so before formally getting out of aviation completely. I've flown as an FE on C-141s, DC-10s, 727s, and Airbus A300s. I earned my pilot's license, but decided I had plenty of flight time for my family (about 9700 hrs total).
Long winded, I know. How about you... what are your aspirations, flying and teaching? From my experience, most instructors plan to move on rather quick. You?
Post a Comment