Social networking is something that has changed the way we are able to communicate and express ourselves on the Internet. I am a member of Facebook which is completely restrictive and I have to invite other people to be able acces my information. Most kids and students seem to have either a facebook account or a myspace account. If you have a public account and allow anyone to access your information you need to be responsible for what is posted.
We are conducting interviews for flight instructing positions and I will try to find them on facebook and myspace to see what there personalities are really like. So, that being said, make sure nothing is on there that you wouldn't want an interviewer to read. It has huge implications if you are not cognitive of what is going on.
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Week 3 Social Networking
Posted by Julie's Blog at 9:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
I've heard horror stories of people not getting jobs because of their myspace page. I think a problem with so many young people using these tools is that they are teaching themselves how to do this stuff. They aren't being taught how to protect themselves and their information.
Ben brings up a great point: social networking often means that you "permit" others to view you as you are (or at least posted). I visited my daughter's MySpace page and was somewhat shocked and disappointed. Was this the "real" person or just hype? I felt like I was snooping, but it was "public", wasn't it?
All these moral questions...
I'm new to the social networking scene. However, my son has shown me several things on social networks that have had tremendous entertainment value, albeit embarassing for the person, in some cases. I think it's an interesting phenomenon that you can learn things about a person that they may not want you to know by going to a public place and viewing what they've posted. We definitely need to be careful about what we choose to share with the world.
Post a Comment