CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Aviation


Aviation is an obvious passion for me. I have spent the last 9 years of my life learning to fly, teaching others how to fly, and flying others around. They say that 1% of the worlds population are pilots, so when you meet another pilot you have an instant bond with that person. It is funny because even in some of the phrases that people say it is easy to pick out if they have flown before.

My interest in aviation originated from my dad. I still remember him talking to me about different career paths I could take when I was in high school. He told me that if he could go back he would be a pilot. I never really thought of aviation as an option. He took me on an introduction flight and I have been hooked ever since.

How do you get into aviation?
Getting into aviation is obviously expensive, so it is important to try to get the best bang for your buck. At the same time the most inexpensive flight schools sometimes don't give you the "safest training" The FAA lists all of the college flight schools on their website. There are also local FBO's (Fixed based operators) where you can just get your ratings and license and no degree.

The top college schools in the country are: University of North Dakota(UND), Purdue, and Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. These schools have outstanding professional pilot programs. Sometimes because they are bigger schools if you don't have a very good work ethic you get lost in the shuffle. There is not anyone "watching" out for you. When I was at UND, most aviation students either finished the program and were successful or because there was nothing else to do in the frigid cold, they became alcoholics.

I hope that someday Westminster's program will be at the same caliber as the bigger schools. I have tried to hold a higher standard for our students and this year we even had a few students pick us over Purdue!

3 comments:

Heather's blog said...

I think most pilots make flying their passion or at least it should be a passion. My dad loved it and I know he misses it. You are always so busy, I am jealous!

Mario said...

As you know, I spent many years in aviation: 3+ years as a Jet Engine Technician on C-5s, C-130s, and C-141s before moving to the cockpit as a Flight Engineer on various aircraft for over 17 years (727s, A-300s, DC-10s, and C-141s). I earned my pilot’s wings later in my career, but by that time decided that flying had it run its course for me.

There is a common thread among aviators – dedication and a passion for flight. Many people ask me how I could leave such a wonderful career, but truth be told, the passion was no longer there.

I am often asked if I miss the profession, but I really don’t – one must be prepared to make numerous sacrifices for the love of aviation. I cherish each and every one of my flight hours (over 9600 hours) and am a better individual because of the commitment needed to be a successful aviator, but it was time to move on and "be there" for my family.

I admire you for pursuing your dream and know you will find continued success. I, on the other hand, am content preparing others to learn, be it aviation, networking, human relations or some other skill.

Mark and Kandice said...

Hey Julie we miss you guys on Game night at the Vogelsbergs! Well we have a blog too so we can keep in contact. www.kandiceandmark.blogspot.com Anyway hope you are liking your new place and everything. Go Griffins! :)