The current state of our world is a downward spiraling rabbit hole. Our world and especially the media tell us what we should like, how much money we should have and have a philosophy of self-centeredness. The world should move in a direction to a place that is more selfless. A world that, cares about others, are honest, merciful, pure in heart, peacemakers, and ethical. I want to live in a world where people take accountability for their actions and people that are striving for righteousness. Righteousness as led by the example of Jesus in the Bible, in a sense of being morally right, without sin. As humans we are not perfect therefore the world will probably never be perfect. Striving toward the betterment of society is a process where we do make mistakes and we will hurt others. This is because we are not perfect and recognizing our imperfectness makes all the difference. So striving for all of these qualities in the end will point people toward God, help us realize how imperfect we really are.
My purpose is to bring Glory to God in I all I do. Blaise Pascal gives a good explanation, he says "What else does this craving, and this helplessness, proclaim but that there was once in man a true happiness, of which all that now remains is the empty print and trace? This he tries in vain to fill with everything around him, seeking in things that are not there the help he cannot find in those that are, though none can help, since this infinite abyss can be filled only with an infinite and immutable object; in other words by God himself." Although this is at the core of my belief system it is never my intention to force it on others nor do I expect everyone to have the same beliefs. My core values and morals just influence my teaching and my beliefs about the purpose of adult education.
The main purpose of adult education today should be to teach students how to think critically and how to correlate knowledge from one subject to another. Critical thinking skills are essential to being successful in most jobs. Correlating subject matters to make a meaning will help people in their jobs as well as in life.
Another purpose for education is to be up to date with the current technology and be able to educate adults about how the technology works. With the worlds rapidly changing technology it is essential to keep pace and have the technological skills. This is more of an underlying purpose but using the technology for assignments and exposing them is a great way to tie it in to whatever is being taught.
Lastly, teaching the learners the life tools to succeed in the world we live in. That could be teaching them about accountability, honesty, and ethics. It could be helping them mature and choose a career path that the have a passion in. Educators should help the learners prepare for the corporate world that is out there and teach them integrity. But also help them realize that sometimes it is hard to do the right thing.
In aviation specifically, educators should work within the bounds of the FAA while trying to take a more constructivist philosophy of teaching. At the same time the FAA should re-evaluate their 1960’s philosophies and techniques and update them to the 21st century. Lastly, educators should teach and recognize the “soft skills” and acceptable behaviors of their learners. Too often in aviation there are students that exhibit hazardous attitudes and “abnormal” behaviors but are never challenged and therefore cause accidents and incidents.
My purpose for education and aviation education ties into my vision for the world in that people need the basic Christian values in order to be successful in life. Being honest and taking accountability for one’s actions are real world concepts that are important. My core values play into this because I am trying to bring glory to God in everything I do. I strive to be an example of what the Bible describes as moral and hopefully my learners will see that. On example is I am a mentor to some of my flight instructors and I am fair and ethical in the way I treat them. I don’t have “favorites” which in the past has caused many problems in our department. I end up influencing my flight instructors as well as students. When thinking about the purpose of education and vision of the world there are also assumptions I hold about adult learners that influence how I teach. These assumptions have a direct correlation to the values I hold.
There are three main assumptions I have about adult learners. I assume they should come prepared, that they will take accountability for their actions and their learning, and that they should be respectful to me and their classmates. Coming prepared encompass’s many assumptions in itself. For example, students should come to class prepared. There are terms of “participation” I assume that if they have signed up for the class that they want to be there. This includes bringing the appropriate books, homework, and required assignments.
My second assumption is that adult learners will take accountability for their actions and for their learning. If a student is unprepared, they should admit that problem and make a change so it doesn’t happen again. This correlates with a student asking to be an exception to the rule because of their lack of accountability. They need suffer the consequences of there actions. If they admit their fault then there is an option to show them mercy depending on the situation. In addition, students should take accountability for their learning by making an effort in the class to study on their own and by trying to complete the assignments to the best of their ability. The adult learners should take have a self-directed learning philosophy.
My third assumption is that students should be respectful to me and to their classmates. They should do this by showing up on time, by not falling asleep in class, and by not complaining about activities or homework assignments. Showing up late disturbs the class. I assume that learning will be interrupted by students being late. When a student falls asleep I am offended that they are not interested in what I am trying to teach. I assume that they want to be there or they would not have shown up. Once people are aware of the assumptions they have about the learners it is important to address the issue of what counts as knowledge.
There is a lot of debate in the field of adult education in what counts as knowledge and what should be taught. Some people have an agenda of being respected as “field” and controlling who gets access. We are doing people a disservice if we restrict the information. Whether it is purposeful or planned, formal, informal, or non-formal, if there is learning it counts as knowledge.
Specifically in aviation, all programs should write their own training course outlines to fit their environment. In collegiate aviation there are prefabricated syllabi that can be bought and are already approved by the FAA for Part 141 in the regulations. This is very convenient for programs but may not be suitable for the type of airspace the school operates in or the type of aircraft they use. Writing a curriculum that focus’s on the program goals and in the case of Westminster College, something that works with operating in and out of Class B airspace is essential.
Another topic that is active in the Collegiate aviation industry is the Flight Industry Training Scenarios(FITS) program. Scenario based training is a very excellent teaching tool however, programs should have the option to choose to implement FITS. In addition, on all levels there needs to be some scenario based training. With the scenario based training and all aspects of teaching it is essential to choose the an appropriate method to teach or facilitate the information.
My beliefs about the pedagogy in teaching is centered around self-directed learning and the learner centered approach. Adults need to be self-directed in there learning. If there is only so much a teacher can do in the classroom to help the student learn. It goes back to the adult learner taking accountability for their learning. Adults can learn from other adults and want to have a say in what they are learning about.
The learner-centered approach is a challenge for me. I try my best to implement as many activities and methods that support the learner-centered approach. I truly believe that it is an effective approach to teaching. My challenge lies in overcoming the teacher- centered approach the FAA mandates. I try to work within the constraints of the FAA but at the same time implement learner-centered approach whenever possible. There is definitely a time for lecture especially when presenting a lot of new information in aviation. However, it is necessary to break out of the “norm,” be creative, and try new teaching techniques.
When deciding on an appropriate method for each teaching and learning session there are many factors that need to be considered depending on the content and type of learning that is going to be done. The general methods that are used in my context of aviation normally fall under 2 categories: interactive or experiential. Generally, class discussion, group discussion, group projects, and simulation are the most appropriate for the material being presented. Specific to flying the aircraft, we normally use a demonstration performance method as described in the Fundamentals of Instruction, by the FAA. In addition, we use the simulators to help with the law of intensity.
My personal philosophy about life and adult education fall back to the core biblical principles. I quit my cargo flying job because I felt as though I was wasting my life away flying boxes around and never interacting with people. I came back to aviation education because that is where my passion lies. Interacting with people and making a difference in someone’s life.
Saturday, October 25, 2008
Draft of Philosophy paper
Posted by Julie's Blog at 8:03 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Julie,
This looks like you are on a good track.
First off a couple grammar items:
1)Under your purpose you have the following sentence: "With the worlds rapidly changing technology it is essential to keep pace and have the technological skills" This is an incomplete thought. Technological skills for what?
2)"It could be helping them mature and choose a career path that the have a passion in" Change the to they.
3)In the paragraph starting with purpose you give an example "On example" change on to one.
4)In your assumptions paragraph change there to their as well as" They need suffer the consequences of there actions"
5)Under your paragraph starting with my second assumption the last sentence is unclear:"The adult learners should take have a self-directed learning philosophy.
Consider taking take out.
6)FITS stands for FAA/Industry Training Standards not scenarios
7)also in the FITs paragraph the last sentence "to choose the an appropriate method to teach" take out the.
8)Pedagogy paragraph"Adults need to be self-directed in there learning." change there to their. Next sentence"If there is only so much a teacher can do in the classroom to help the student learn" I think you are trying to say there is only so much. If if is what you are trying to say it is an incomplete thought.
You mention the law of intensity and simulators. Although I know what the law of intensity refers to it may need to be expanded upon briefly so that others reading will understand what it is, and how it is applicable.
Your values to bring glory to God are pretty clear. How will this core belief affect you when you are teaching someone who does not hold those beliefs true? If they don't have those beliefs, you say you need them to be successful in life.
when talking about integrating a more learner centered approach I feel your pain. Not only does the FAA have a teacher centered approach, but the culture as well. Whether they be aviators or college students, the "corporate culture" of education is centered around the almighty teacher. I feel this adds an extra hurdle in trying to employ these approaches to education. Maybe tie this in.
Julie, it’s nice to know there are people that actually care about improving themselves. We’ve discussed this in class several times, but it’s especially nice knowing that flight instructors care about improving others.
Integrity and ethics is an important part of your role in education because you may have people that will be in a situation where they are alone and will have to make a decision to do the safety check or to skip a few steps so they are able to get in the air sooner. You are teaching integrity because they need to know it’s not ok for you to cut corners in order to get in to the air and why it’s important. This is where you may bring in a more constructivist philosophy. The students can design what is and isn’t integrity in aviation and the FAA can do the technological piece.
Again I think because you have not played to favorites or try to lead with a “buddy, buddy” type mentality you have become a leader and have proven your ability to teach. You might give an example of what has brought you to your philosophy. Was there an experience the brought you to this philosophy? When I first became a leader, I found out the hard way that leader’s always have someone that doesn’t like them.
Could your three assumptions be accompanied by a quote in the texts to help support?
Around your paragraph on pedagogy, I would love to see some additional specifics to how you would help students become learners. How will you help people go from caring about what’s on the next test, or how many pages the essay needs to be to what will I learn from this assignment, and “if I don’t read my assignments it’s only hurting me.” This will also help readers understand the beginning of the document in how you may specifically help others to be responsible and accountable.
Post a Comment