CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 3, 2008

Synthesis and Purposes

It is clear after reading numerous articles on the purposes of education that different people have different ideas and opinions. So, it is important to do soul searching to figure out what the purpose is for you.

There were definitely some of the readings that resonated with me and there were others that didn’t really fit my purpose. For most people if you were to ask them what the purpose was for their life they probably couldn't’t tell you. Someone’s values and vision for their life is going to shine through and affect what they think the purpose of education is. There were 3 articles in particular that I looked at closely. Education as a Spiritual Formation by Parker J. Palmer articulated similar ideas I hold. Where as The Adult Educator and Social Responsibility by Cunningham I was indifferent. The Philosophies of Education by John Elias, and Sharan Meriam made me really think about my own philosophy.

“Life in a community is a continual testing and refining of the fruits of love in my life. Here, in relation to others, I can live out (or discover lacking) the peace and joy, the humility and servant hood by which spiritual growth is measured.” This quote by Palmer describes part of my purpose in adult education. Forcing my beliefs on others is never my intention and I am sensitive to it to the point of not talking about it unless I am asked. Living out and being an example will help me teach my students some of the basic principles that they will need in life. Ultimately make the world a better place.

Palmer also says, “My effort to develop a spirituality of education is not an imposed, it is an attempt to recall education to the forgotten roots and meanings of its routine practices.” Some of the adult learners I teach do not know what discipline, accountability, mercy, grace, work ethic, or hard work is. If I can lead by example and hold my students accountable hopefully this will teach them life lessons in which they can survive in the real world. This is not always true for older learners, but the age group I teach in has not had very many life lessons or experiences. Although I am still young I have had enough life lessons that taught me values that have helped me through my life thus far.

I flew cargo about 2 1/2 years ago and during this time it made me re-evaluate what I was doing with my life and career. I thought I was going to die on a daily basis for a bunch of boxes and these experiences ended up drawing me back to education. My experience motivated me to want to make a difference in peoples lives.

In Cunningham’s article about abut the social responsibility, I agree with his points about ethics and the power struggle with knowledge. The purpose knowledge and adult education should not be a power struggle. Those who have the motivation should have access to learn. In addition to ethical issues one’s philosophical theories have an impact on the overall purpose.
John Elias, and Sharan Meriam discuss different philosophical foundations of adult education they bring up the Postmodern Adult education philosophy that offers constructive criticism to the entire enterprise of adult education. This view point intrigues me and motivates me to look at how to reach these people. What is the best way to educate someone with a postmodern view point? Postmodernity has been around for a long time, however, until recently there has not been a huge shift to this way of thought. Trying to see things from a postmodern view point and realizing you will not be able to convince them with “logic” is a scary thought for a lot of people. This brings up another purpose for adult educators is to be flexible to change and to be open to new methodologies and question what their purpose is.

In the end, anyone that is an adult educator has to find out their own purpose.

0 comments: